In January 2005, the University of Iowa School of Journalism and Mass Communication moved into its new home in the Adler Journalism Building just north of the Main Library. The building was named in memory of Philip D. Adler (B.A. 1926) after his family gave SJMC a major gift. Adler was publisher of the Quad-City Times (of Davenport) and a longtime supporter of the UI until his death in 1994. The Adler Journalism Building is also home to The Daily Iowan, the UI's award-winning student-run newspaper, and the Department of Cinematic Arts.
Note: All labs are also electronic classrooms with Elmo overhead projectors, Blu-ray/DVD players, and sound systems. Mac labs have twin HDTV-capable displays for projection.
W236 is a Mac lab with 20 iMacs (purchased in summer 2022), a black-and-white laser printer, and a color laser printer.
W332, our "high-end" multimedia lab, features 20 iMacs (purchased in summer 2019) with 27" displays. The room also contains a black-and-white laser printer and a color laser printer.
W336 is a Mac Lab with 20 iMacs (purchased in summer 2021), a black-and-white laser printer, and a color laser printer.
W340 is a Mac lab with 20 iMacs (purchased in summer 2020), a black-and-white laser printer, and a color laser printer.
Student Center (E350)
The Student Center has 16 iMacs available for general use with the same software as available in the classrooms, a black-and-white laser printer, and a color laser printer. A Mersive Solstice video-collaboration device is also available to share contents from Mac, Windows, iOS, and Android devices. A Podcast studio is available for audio recording and podcast creation. A conference room with a Mac mini and webcam is available for meetings, interviews, video conferences, and general collaboration. For more information, visit the Student Center page.
The podcast studio contains two Rode Procaster microphones, two pairs of Shure SRH240A chorded headphones, a RODE RODECaster Pro Integrated Podcast Production Studio console, an iMac with the Adobe Creative Suite and Audacity software.
All the multimedia labs contain a common core of software: Microsoft Office, the complete Adobe Creative Cloud Suite (2022 release), Final Cut Pro X, Audacity, VLC, text editors (Visual Studio Code and BBEdit), and SFTP clients (Fetch, Cyberduck, FileZilla). Specialized applications for upper-level classes, such as AR/VR authoring and photogrammetry, are also available.
TV News Editing Lab
The TV News Editing Lab contains the following equipment:
- 8 iMac Pro edit station computers
- Adobe Creative Cloud Package
- CNN Partnership for video file sharing
- Microsoft Office
- Ross Video Graphite Video Switcher w/Carbonite Panel/VideoStreamline/XpressionGraphics/TriaVideo
- Ross Video Inception CUI/IT for producing/writing/prompting
- 3-Sony large panel displays in studio/control room
- Telex Professional headsets for Technical Crew
- Audio Implements IFB systems for talent and technical crew
- Behringer Xenyx X1832USB Sound Mixer
- Sony 77B lavaliere microphones
- XLR cables
- Hitachi Z-HD5000 Studio cameras with professional tripods on pedestals
- HD video camera set up as newsroom live shot with professional lights, IFB, and microphone
- Recording capture station with Black Magic Express Software
- Streaming computer station for live show capability
- Panasonic AG-150 HMC video camcorders
- Hand-held microphones
- Sennheiser wireless microphones
- Lowell Lights kits with umbrellas and barndoors
- Sachlter & Proline tripods with fluid heads
- ETC ColorSource 20 Console with 20 faders and 40 control channels
- Lighting console with DMX controlled Studio Lights
- 2 LiveU remote kits for live news broadcasts
- Tieline Bridge-IT coordinating with radion station KRUI 89.7 FM
- Extron Scaling Presentations Switcher with Sony Video Projector and Electronic Projection Screen
To help meet the expenses of operating its computer labs, the School charges students for printing. Fees are charged to a student's U-Bill via their HawkID numbers. Black-and-white laser printing is $0.05 per page, and color laser printing is $0.50 per page.